Visiting a close colleague at NERSC. My full CV is available, as well as my teaching statement and stance on diversity.
I am a postdoctoral researcher in the Institut für Kernphysik and Institute for Advanced Simulation at Forschungszentrum Jülich, in Germany.
I employ lattice gauge theory to study few-nucleon systems and other strongly-coupled problems which must be solved numerically. My latest interests include neutrinoless double beta decay, fundamental symmetries, axion cosmology, two-nucleon systems from QCD, algorithmic improvements, and gauge/gravity duality.
Lists below are ordered so that the most recent item is first.
- 2013 Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Maryland, College Park. Defended 8 April 2013, awarded 19 May 2013.
- 2008 S.B. in Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, GPA 4.8/5.0.
- 2004 Hunter College High School, with honors in mathematics and physics.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 2013-2016.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Theory of Quarks, Hadrons, and Nuclei group in the Maryland Center for Fundamental Physics, 2008-2013.
- Undergraduate Researcher - Waves and Beams, Plasma Science and Fusion Center, MIT, Summer 2007.
- Undergraduate Researcher - Applied Mathematics Fluids Laboratory, MIT, Summer 2006.
Grants, Honors & Awards
- 6.5M Hours, NERSC 2017 ERCAP allocation #91232 as co-PI for “Implementing Improved Operators for Lattice QCD Calculations of Two-Nucleon Elastic Scattering”.
- Honorable Mention in the 2016 Gravity Research Foundation Awards for Essays on Gravitation for A Microscopic Description of Black Hole Evaporation via Holography
- 64M Core-Hours, INCITE 2016, as co-PI for “First Lattice QCD Calculation of the I=2 Two-Nucleon Parity Violating Amplitude”
- 17.46M CPU-Hours, NERSC 2015 ERCAP allocation, for “First Lattice QCD Calculation of the I=2 Two-Nucleon Parity Violating Amplitude”
- 10M CPU-Hours, NERSC 2014 allocation #88503, as co-PI for “Lattice QCD Investigation of Hadronic Parity Violation”.
- Ann G. Wylie Dissertation Fellowship, University of Maryland, Spring 2013.
- JSA/Jefferson Lab Graduate Fellow, 2011-2012
- Departmental Fellowship 2008-2010, Physics Department, University of Maryland
- ΣΠΣ, 2008 Class at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- ΦΚΣ Foundation Scholarship Winner, 2007-2008
You can look at my author pages on the arχiv, inspireHEP, or Google Scholar. I try to keep my ORCID current.My Erdős number is at most 5, through Tom Cohen.
- Evan Berkowitz, Chris Bouchard, Chia Cheng Chang, M. A. Clark, Bálint Joó, Thorsten Kurth, Christopher Monahan, Amy Nicholson, Kostas Orginos, Enrico Rinaldi, Pavlos Vranas, and André Walker-Loud. Möbius Domain-Wall fermions on gradient-flowed dynamical HISQ ensembles. Submitted to PRD, 2017. hep-lat/1701.07559.
- Amy Nicholson, Evan Berkowitz, Chia Cheng Chang, M. A. Clark, Balint Joo, Thorsten Kurth, Enrico Rinaldi, Brian Tiburzi, Pavlos Vranas, Andre Walker-Loud. Neutrinoless double beta decay from lattice QCD. PoS(LATTICE2016), 2016. hep-lat/1608.04793.
- Evan Berkowitz. Supergravity from Gauge Theory. PoS(LATTICE2016)238, 2016. hep-lat/1608.01951.
- Evan Berkowitz, Enrico Rinaldi, Masanori Hanada, Goro Ishiki, Shinji Shimasaki, and Pavlos Vranas. Precision lattice test of the gauge/gravity duality at large N. Phys. Rev. D 94:094501, Nov 2016, hep-lat/1606.04951.
- Evan Berkowitz, Enrico Rinaldi, Masanori Hanada, Goro Ishiki, Shinji Shimasaki, Pavlos Vranas. Supergravity from D0-brane Quantum Mechanics. 2016. hep-th/1606.04948.
Weirdly, covered by a major Russian news outlet.
- Evan Berkowitz, Masanori Hanada, and Jonathan Maltz. A Microscopic Description of Black Hole Evaporation via Holography. International Journal of Modern Physics D, 2016, hep-th/1603.03055. Honorable Mention in Gravity Research Foundation 2016 Essay Competition.
- Evan Berkowitz, Masanori Hanada, and Jonathan Maltz. Chaos in Matrix Models and Black Hole Evaporation. Phys. Rev. D, 94:126009, Dec 2016. hep-th/1602.01473.
- Amy Nicholson, Evan Berkowitz, Enrico Rinaldi, Pavlos Vranas, Thorsten Kurth, Bálint Joó. Two-nucleon Scattering in Multiple Partial Waves, 2015. PoS(LATTICE2015)083, 2015. hep-lat/1511.02262.
- Thorsten Kurth, Evan Berkowitz, Enrico Rinaldi, Pavlos Vranas, Amy Nicholson, Mark Strother, and André Walker-Loud. Nuclear Parity Violation from Lattice QCD. PoS(LATTICE2015)329, 2015. hep-lat/1511.02260.
- Evan Berkowitz. Lattice QCD and Axion Cosmology. PoS(LATTICE2015)236, 2015. hep-lat/1509.02976.
- Evan Berkowitz, Thorsten Kurth, Amy Nicholson, Bálint Joó, Enrico Rinaldi, Mark Strother, Pavlos M. Vranas, and André Walker-Loud. Two-Nucleon Higher Partial Wave Scattering from Lattice QCD. Physics Letters B, 765:285 – 292, 2017, hep-lat/1508.00886.
- Evan Berkowitz, Michael I. Buchoff, and Enrico Rinaldi. Lattice QCD Input for Axion Cosmology. Phys. Rev. D 92:034507, 2015. hep-lat/1505.07455.
Stealth Dark Matter made its way into various popular outlets, including space.com and the Italian edition of Scientific American.
- Appelquist et alia (The LSD Collaboration). Detecing Stealth Dark Matter Directly through Electromagnetic Polarizability. Phys. Rev. Lett. 115:171803 2015, hep-ph/1503.04205. PRL Editor’s Suggestion.
- Appelquist et alia (The LSD Collaboration). Composite Bosonic Baryon Dark Matter on the Lattice: SU(4) Baryon Spectrum and the Effective Higgs Interaction. 2014, Phys. Rev. D, 89:094508 2014. hep-lat/1402.6656.
- Evan Berkowitz. Some Novel Phenomena at High Density. PhD thesis, University of Maryland, College Park, April 2013.
- Evan Berkowitz, Thomas D. Cohen, and Patrick Jefferson. Multi-channel S-Matrices From Energy Levels in Finite Boxes. 2012. hep-lat/1211.2261.
- Paulo F. Bedaque, Evan Berkowitz, and Srimoyee Sen. Thermodynamics of Nuclear Condensates and Phase Transitions in White Dwarfs. Phys. Rev. D, 89:045010 2014, astro-ph/1206.1059.
- Paulo F. Bedaque, Evan Berkowitz, and Aleksey Cherman. Neutrino Emission from Helium White Dwarfs with Condensed Cores. Submitted to JCAP, 2012, nucl-th/1203.0969.
- Paulo F. Bedaque, Evan Berkowitz, Geoffrey Ji, and Nathan Ng. Electron Shielding of Vortons in High-Density Quark Matter. Phys. Rev. D, 85:043008, February 2012. nucl-th/1112.1386.
- Paulo F. Bedaque, Evan Berkowitz, and Srimoyee Sen. Stable Vortex Loops in Two-Species BECs. J. Physics B, 45(22):225301, 2012, cond-mat.quant-gas/1111.4507.
Written up in the Technology Review arXiv blog.
- Paulo F. Bedaque, Evan Berkowitz, and Aleksey Cherman. Nuclear Condensate and Helium White Dwarfs. The Astrophysical Journal, 749(1):5, 2012. nucl-th/1111.1343.
- Paulo F. Bedaque, Evan Berkowitz, and Aleksey Cherman. Vortons in Dense Quark Matter. Phys. Rev. D, 84(2):023006, July 2011. nucl-th/1102.4795.
A complete list of my talks can be found in my CV.
- Neutrinoless Double Beta Decay from Lattice QCD
- Supergravity from Gauge Theory
- Nucleon-Nucleon Scattering at MeV
- Black Holes and Matrix Models
- Lattice QCD Input to Axion Cosmology
- Nuclear Physics from First Principles
- Scattering Observables from Finite Volumes – A Gentle Introduction to Lüscher’s Method
- Nuclear condensation of dense helium
- Vortons: Stable Vortex Loops
- Vortons at High Density
I love to teach and do not consider it to be a “distraction from research”, but rather a crucial part of doing physics that helps me clarify my understanding and allows me to spread my passion to others.
- Substitute Lecturer, Theoretical Hadron Physics at the University of Bonn, 2017.
- Substitute Lecturer, Graduate Electrodynamics and Quantum Mechanics, 2009-2013.
- Research Mentor for two high school students, Summer 2011.
- Teaching Assistant, Mechanics and Particle Dynamics, Spring 2009.
- Teaching Assistant, Inquiry into Physics, Spring 2009.
- Teaching Assistant, Fundamentals of Physics I, Fall 2008.
- Instructor and certifier of record: PADI Open Water Diver Course, Summer 2005.
Conferences, Meetings & Workshops
- Frontiers in Nuclear Physics, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, Santa Barbara CA, Summer 2016.
- LATTICE 2016, University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom, July 2016.
- Nuclear Physics from Lattice QCD INT-16-1, Institute for Nuclear Theory, Seattle WA, Spring 2016.
- Intersections of BSM Phenomenology and QCD for New Physics Searches INT-15-3, Institute for Nuclear Theory, Seattle WA, October 2015.
- Numerical Approaches to the Holographic Principle, Quantum Gravity and Cosmology, Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan, July 2015.
- LATTICE 2015, Kobe, Japan, July 2015.
- Lattice for Beyond the Standard Model Physics, LLNL, Livermore CA, April 2015.
- USQCD QUDA Workshop, Fermilab, Batavia IL, December 2014.
- 2014 SciDAC Meeting, Office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research, Washington DC, July 2014.
- LATTICE 2014
- Lattice Meets Experiment 2013: Beyond the Standard Model, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Brookhaven NY, December 2013.
- Nuclear Reactions from Lattice QCD INT-13-53W, Institute for Nuclear Theory, Seattle WA, March 2013.
- International Nuclear Physics Conference, University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC, July 2010.
- National Nuclear Physics Summer School and TRIUMF Summer Institute, TRIUMF, Vancouver BC, June 2010.
- Workshop on Large N Gauge Theories, University of Maryland, College Park MD, May 2010.
- Referee, Journal of Physics B: AMO Physics, Physical Review D.
- Organizer, Lattice for Beyond the Standard Model Physics Workshop at LLNL, April 2015.
- Volunteer, Bay Area Science Festival, 1 November 2014.
- Judge and Team Leader, Contra Costa County Science and Engineering Fair, 21 March 2014.
- Judge, Northern Virginia Science and Engineering Fair, Spring 2013.
- Seminar Organizer, Fall 2010
- Judge, Montgomery County Science Fair, Spring 2010.
- Volunteer, Physics is Phun, 2008-2009.
- Volunteer, Harvard-MIT Mathematics Tournament.